Kue Sus, our Friday Evening Treat.

Friday evening.
My children arrived home earlier than other normal school days. 1.5 hours earlier.
As soon as they've arrived home, usually they will do everything quickly, without any reminder nor instruction; from cleaning their school bags, emptying their lunch boxes, having shower, drinking afternoon milk (and asking for snacks), ...before doing what they really wait for. 
My teen daughter wants to watch the 3 PM show at Cartoon Network, and my 'not-so-little-anymore' boy chooses to be busy playing Xbox game.

... That happens almost every Friday in our home.

IMG_8606soes

Before they arrive home, usually I start to plan preparing 'sweets' for them.
Something quick and easy snack is the 'target', and not a 'first time' trial. For the last couple of weeks, the sweets were dominated with something chocolaty; brownies and chocolate molten cake is the favorite. So, this time I decided to prepare other sweets with no chocolate on the ingredients. Then I realized that it has been a while I didn't bake Kue Sus, 'choux pastry with custard filling' that very familiar in this country.

Since my very first trial to make Kue Sus, I always use this recipe that I got from a 'very old edition' of Femina Magazine. I'm not exactly sure which year it was published; 14-15 years ago I guess.
With the simple ingredients that always available in my kitchen cupboard, I never fail baking this delicious treat. For me, this is exactly the type of Kue Sus that my Mom used to make when her children were still young.

IMG_8645soes

So, after almost 2-3 years I haven't made this treat, I decided to serve it as my children Friday snack. Both of my children are crazy of custard. So I let them to put the filling by themselves, and enjoying through the evening. I made it a lot, almost 3 dozens. My husband was out of the city... and those dozens were gone on the next morning. The kids love it! so do I...

Little tips that I need to share:
* I used two steel spoons to shape the round pastry, in this way my mom shaped the dough, not using nozzle. I like to see the 'natural shape' of the pastry instead of the uniform 'star' shape.
* I baked the the pastry for 15 minutes in 200 C, then I lowered down the temperature to 160 C for another 10 minutes baking.
Why not 30 minutes? Because I made the pastry balls smaller than the average size (diameter 4 cm). It needs shorter baking time.
The first 200 C is the time for the dough to puff up, than another 10 minutes baking is to strengthen the pastry structure, to hold the hollow that have been formed. Same case when I'm frying 'kerupuk jange' or 'tahu sumedang'. ha..ha... sounds too engineering.

So... that's all for now.
I don't want to make you confuse reading my babble.

Have a Good Night.

IMG_8600a

Kue Sus isi Vla
Source : Femina Indonesia Magazine

Bahan / Ingredients
Kulit Sus :
200 ml air / 200 ml water
125 gr margarin / 125 gr margarine
1 sdm gula pasir / 1 tbsp caster sugar
150 gr tepung terigu / 150 gr all purpose flour
4 butir (200 gr) telur ayam / 4 medium eggs (200gr)

Isi / Filling :
2 kuning telur / 2 egg yolks
50 gr tepung maizena / 50 gr maizena/corn starch
500 ml susu cair / 500 gr milk
75 gr gula pasir / 75 gr caste sugar
1 sdm rum / 1 tbsp rum

(optional) Taburan / Topping :
50 gr gula bubuk / 50 gr powder sugar

sus1

Kulit Sus
1. Didihkan air, masukkan margarin dan gula pasir. Masak diatas api kecil hingga margarin meleleh. Masukkan tepung terigu sambil diaduk-aduk hingga adonan matang dan kalis*. Angkat dan biarkan uapnya hilang.
2. Masukkan setiap 2 butir telur ke dalam adonan kulit sus, aduk cepat dan rata hingga menjadi adonan yang lembut.
3. Masukkan adonan kulit sus ke dalam kantong yg dihubungkan dengan spuit bentuk bintang**. Semprot adonan di atas loyang datar bersemir margarin dan bertabur terigu dengan cara melingkar.
Beri jarak di antaranya***. Panggang dalam oven panas bersuhu 200 C selama 30 menit, angkat. Sisihkan.


Choux Pastry, the'skin'.
1. Boil water, add margarine and sugar. Cook over low heat until the margarine melts. Add the flour, stirring continuously until the dough is cooked and smooth*. Remove from the heat and let the steam is gone.
2. Gradually add 2 eggs into the dough, beating well between each addition, until well combined, and producing a soft dough.
3. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe rounds/circular onto baking trays that rubbed with margarine and sprinkled with flour.
Leave enough space among them***. Bake in a hot oven temperature of 200 C for 30 minutes, remove from heat. Set aside.

vla

Isi Sus (Vla)
Aduk rata kuning telur, tepung maizena dan 50 ml susu. Sisihkan.
Didihkan sisa susu (450 ml) dan gula pasir sambil aduk-aduk di atas api kecil hingga gula larut.
Tuang larutan telur-maizena sambil aduk cepat dan rata hingga menjadi adonan kental dan mengkilap. Tambah rum, aduk rata.

Custard Filling
Mix the egg yolks, cornstarch and 50 ml of milk. Set aside.
Boil the remaining milk (450 ml) and add sugar while stirring over low heat until sugar dissolves.
Pour the egg-cornstarch mixture quickly and evenly while stirring until the custard becomes thick and shiny surface. Add rum and stir well.
_________________________________

Penyelesaian;
Belah tiap kue sus membujur dengan pisau tajam, tidak sampai putus.
Beri 1 sdm adonan isi.

To Assemble :
Cut the pastry in half horizontally using a sharp knife.
Spoon 1 tablespoon filling onto the base of pastry, and sandwich the remaining top.

IMG_8700a

* It's signed by : the mixture come away from the sides of the pan.
** I used 2 spoons to shape the round dough, not using the nozzle.
***...so they have room to spread out and puff up!

Comments

Nanik said…
wah, tampaknya nggak begitu susah mbak. nggak perlu mikser juga ya. jadi pengen nyobain. tar izin nyontek ya mbaaak :) btw kalow adonan sus itu bisa ngantre nggak mbak, atau harus langsung masuk oven? *maklum ovennya imuuut, bikin setengah resep aja kali yaaa...heheh. makasih sebelumnyaa...
Vania said…
Nanik, bener sekali... Gak perlu mixer.
Ngantri...bisa. Saya jg sampai 3 loyang, masuk satu persatu. Begitu yg satu mateng, yg berikutnya dah siap masuk oven :) happy baking.
Ira Rodrigues said…
sempurna hasilnya van! nyetak pastry nya sama apa ya kok bulet2 cantik gitu?
di salah satu toko jajan pasar disini jual kue sus mini bentuknya pakek spuit. resep kamu ini simple dan gak ribet ya. i love it! your kids must love TGIF lol.
ida hariyanti said…
gampangnyaaaaa... kayaknya harus dicoba ini hehehe.. ak ijin ngelink boleh mbak?:D
Unknown said…
Thank you for the recipe
Mamaku jg biasa pake resep Femina tp dia lupa...
Darah tinggi said…
Wah Lezat bgt makanannya.. Terima kasih untuk resepnya