Fermented Cassava Cake

It was two days ago, as usual, after a morning walking/jogging, I stopped by in a market. Entering the market area, the first seller that I met was the 'Fermented Cassava' seller. Everytime I pass him, he smiles and asks if I want to buy. It has been a while I haven't bought any, but that morning I decided to buy 1 kg (it cost me Rp 7.000,-/kg or less than US$1).
Fermented Cassava a.k.a Cassava Tape is made from steamed cassava to which some yeast has been added. It is then left to ferment for 1-3 days. If the quality of the yeast is good, the tape will taste sweet (quote from The Best Indonesian Desserts by Yasa Boga).
Could you imagine, that a 'big job' to make the delicious fermented cassava only cost you very little. The seller carried big 2 heavy baskets; one of them contained full of fermented cassava and another one contained fruits (most of the time he brings banana or guava). He brings it from a place called Citayam in Bogor by train very early morning, when most of us still asleep! I need to give him more appreciation.

Peuyeum Cake

After arriving at home, I decided to bake the popular 'Peuyeum Cake' (~Fermented Cassava Cake). No need to spend too much time to find the recipe, since it is stick on my kitchen wall. This time, I put a bit more fermented cassava, and it produced heavier texture to the cake.
It's good for my children afternoon snack :)).
Actually, I posted this recipe years ago in Bahasa Indonesia, you can check it in this posting.

peuyeumcake2 peuyeumcake3

Ingredients:
300 gr peuyeum (fermented cassava), choose the mature ones, remove the fiber (~ axis)
50ml sweetened condensed milk
5 eggs
180 gr caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
100 gr unsalted butter + 50 gr margarine, melted
100 gr grated cheddar cheese

Sifter together:
175 gr all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

Peuyeum Cake

1. Generously butter a 20 cm tube pan and dust with a little flour. *I used 2 small loaves pans.

2. Puree the fermented cassava with a fork, mix the sweetened condensed milk. Mix it well and set aside.

3. Beat eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved and condensed. (*set the mixer in high-speed).

4. Add vanilla, beat well. Gradually add the fermented cassava mix while beating until blended.

5. Pour the melted butter-margarine and stir well.

6. Add mixture of flour and 50 grams of cheddar cheese, stir well.

7. Pour into baking pan, sprinkle with another 50 grams of cheddar cheese, and bake in hot oven 180 C for 45 minutes until cooked.

8. Remove, let it cool. Serve.
*This cake is best served in warm from the oven.

Comments

Nisa-mom said…
aaih..disitu enak, pingin peunyem tinggal jogging eeh.. beli maksud nya hihihi.. *mantaaab mba foto nya sukses bikin ngiler heheh
Ira Rodrigues said…
waduh, ini kesukaanku...hmmm
van,fotonya bikin tak kuasa menahan iler *basah hihihi
Ratna said…
Salam kenal dari Bogor, mbak Van.
Di sini, banyak peuyeum ^_^
radhityanotes said…
waduh..., keliatannya enak banget....

emmm... nyummy...
Anonymous said…
waduh mba, the cake looks yumm yumm deh!
aku belum pernah makan kue tape sebelumnya, tapi yakin pasti enak nih, pake keju pula.. hmm.. :)
Suki Yaki said…
Hello,
I just received a wonderful Indonesian dessert book from my sister in law in Singapore.
I can find all the other ingredients here in Los Angeles - but I cannot find the 'fermented' cassava.
Would you have a recipe for that ?
How much steamed cassava ?
How much yeast to put ?
Step by step procedure on how to make it ?
Thanks ........ so many mouth watering recipes - and I can't do it without the fermented cassava.
Thanks for your help !
Suki Yaki said…
Hello,
I just received a wonderful Indonesian dessert book from my sister in law in Singapore.
I can find all the other ingredients here in Los Angeles - but I cannot find the 'fermented' cassava.
Would you have a recipe for that ?
How much steamed cassava ?
How much yeast to put ?
Step by step procedure on how to make it ?
Thanks ........ so many mouth watering recipes - and I can't do it without the fermented cassava.
Thanks for your help !
Vonny Ablett said…
Salam kenal mbak :D

Wow.. resep dan fotonya luar biasa :D

Boleh saya coba mbak?

Terimakasih sebelumnya

Vonny